If only we had time for all the things we wanted to change—a cleaner house, a brand-new wardrobe, better physical fitness (preferably overnight, if possible).
You can’t change everything all at once, but you can upgrade your bedroom with a few key improvements.
Read on for four bedroom upgrades you absolutely need, for a space that is both functional and fashionable, comfortable and cute, aspirational and aesthetic.
Upgrade #1: Pick A Fresh Coat of Paint
Painting is one of the easiest ways to transform a space from drab to fab—all without breaking too much of a sweat, especially if you’ve got a few helping hands to lighten your load.
Find something that is uniquely you, but keep these helpful hints in mind:
- Choose something light and subtle to really open up your space.
- Don’t forget a primer—a paint-and-primer two-in-one makes your life even easier.
- Compare your favorite color choices to your current bedroom furniture and linens. If your top choice doesn’t quite match your duvet cover, you can always kill two bedroom upgrades with one stone and purchase new linens, too.
Upgrade #2: Mount A (Bigger?) Television
For a while, maybe you’ve been putting this off. I don’t want to be tempted to spend all day in bed. I have a TV in the living room that works perfectly well. I just don’t need it, do I? Those are valid arguments—do you really need a television anywhere?—but now might be the time to throw caution to the wind and finally live your best life.
That life includes a flat-screen TV mounted in prime viewing-real estate.
If you’ve already got a bedroom television, you can always upgrade. In-home entertainment is practically evolving at light speed.
Either way, the phrase “bigger is better” comes to mind instantly… Do with that what you will.
Upgrade #3: Buy the Mattress of Your Dreams
Big purchases are always a bit scary, but now’s the time to bite the bullet. The perfect mattress is about the only thing that can truly make your dreams come true—literally.
Here’s how to make yourself a bed that you’re excited to crawl into at the end of the day:
- Pinpoint the right firmness for your sleeping style. Back sleepers need something of the not-too-soft-not-too-hard variety, leaning slightly to the firmer side. Side sleepers will want to sink into something soft to let go of their physical tension. And the elusive stomach sleepers need a firmer feel to avoid whacky spinal alignment and ensuing lower back pain.
- Find a mattress that will regulate your rising body temperatures at night to maintain the ideal sleeping environment. With a cooling memory foam mattress, the heat will be carried away from your body to provide the ultimate sleep experience.
Upgrade #4: Install A High-Capability Temperature Control System
If you’re still padding across the freezing cold floor in the middle of the night to adjust the thermostat a few degrees up, it’s time to launch yourself into the 21st century with a high-tech system.
Find one that comes with a remote control or full-function smartphone app so you never have to get out of bed again (that flat-screen is looking real nice right now, isn’t it?).
You can also set automatic timers to lower the temperature during the night without having to fall asleep or wake up in a chilly room. This might just be the perfect complement for your brand-new cooling mattress, too.
New Year, New Bedroom
Everyone always focuses on New Years’ resolutions like fitness goals, no carb diets, and better grades in school—they almost never last and hardly make any difference. Why not resolve yourself to making your bedroom the best it can be?
With all the time you spend in there, it deserves as many upgrades as you can afford.